Having a Financial Plan is essential to you achieving your financial goals!
Thankfully 2020 is coming to a close and with the prospects of vaccines on the way perhaps we can look forward to 2021 and beyond with some degree of confidence.
For now though we should make the most of Christmas in as safe a way as possible. While looking forward to that brighter future, perhaps now is a time to focus on your financial goals.
Drawing up a financial roadmap detailing where you are now and where you want to get to in the future, with a variety of milestones along the way, is a fundamental part of ensuring you achieve your long-term goals and, importantly, your financial independence. Bear in mind that the starting point of a financial plan is not just about money, it is also about what you want out of life and how you set about achieving this.
Now is a good time to consider your financial goals and specifically your priorities for 2021 and beyond.
There are three main benefits to putting a good Financial Plan in place:
- Firstly, it will analyse and organise your finances so you know exactly where you stand right now.
- Secondly, it will allow you to think very carefully about what you actually want to achieve and to prioritise your goals to this end.
- Thirdly, it will then set realistic solutions to get you as close to your financial goals as possible.
Working the Plan
A focused plan will work to help you achieve what is important to you as well as making sure all your day to day items are taken care of. The big-ticket items in this are:
- Paying your mortgage
- Planning for Retirement
- Maximising income
- Maximising tax relief
- Managing investments
- Health Care
- Paying for education
- Family Protection focusing on untimely death, serious illness and loss of income through ill-health.
- Succession Planning and making a Will
- Financing home moves and improvements.
Who needs help?
It is definitely possible to draw up a Financial Plan yourself, however, the services of a Financial Broker such as ourselves can prove invaluable in the process. We have the experience and expertise to steer you through various stages of the process and work with you to provide you with the peace of mind that a good realistic plan has to offer.
Once you have a plan and a to-do list it should then be updated at least once a year. Lots of things can change in a year – changing priorities, your circumstances, taxes, and economic conditions to name but a few. This year, of course, we have the fall out from Covid19 to factor in also.